Education, M.S. Ed (Reading Specialist added certification) & Special Education, M.Ed.
Contact: Ms. Jill Scott, Department Secretary, 570-662-4560
Admission to the Education programs are based on a full review of application materials and acceptance by the Office of Graduate Admissions.
- Graduate application
- $25 application processing fee
- One academic or professional letter of recommendation
- Copy of current teaching certificate
- Evidence of at least one completed undergraduate degree program
- Official transcripts from every college/university where coursework was completed
- *Minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0 on a 4.0 scale if undergraduate degree earned within the past 5 years OR a GPA of 2.8 on a 4.0 scale if undergraduate degree earned 5 or more years ago (may calculate GPA on the last 48 semester hours)
- If undergraduate GPA falls below admission requirement, but applicant submits passing scores of Praxis I (Pre-Professional Skills Test) OR submits evidence that 12+ credits of graduate level coursework was successfully completed at a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher, then applicant will be considered for acceptance. Department recommendation may be required.
*Applicants must have a minimum GPA of 3.0 if seeking degree plus teacher certification.
SUBMIT THE FOLLOWING DOCUMENTS PRIOR TO COURSE REGISTRATION:
- Clearances: 1) Pennsylvania Criminal Record check (Act 34); 2) Child Abuse History clearance (Act 151); 3) Negative TB tine test; and, 4) PA-FBI fingerprint check. These clearances must be current, no older than one year, and renewed again just prior to student teaching.
- Students must send copies of their clearances via US mail to: Ms. Beth McClure, 205 Retan, Mansfield University, Mansfield, PA, 16933. If you have any questions, please call: 570-662-4024. *Students may not register for coursework until their clearances are on file.
- Proof of professional liability insurance required for those seeking certification. Please submit evidence to Ms. Beth McClure, 205 Retan, Mansfield University, Mansfield, PA, 16933.
- Praxis I required for those seeking initial certification. Please submit passing scores to Mansfield University.
Rolling admission: We accept and review applications throughout the year and admission decisions are made daily.
Please send all application materials to:
Office of Graduate Admissions
South Hall, Room G-27
71 South Academy Street
Mansfield, PA 16933
ATTENTION! New Teacher Certification Requirements
Pennsylvania Department of Education (PDE) has issued program changes to ALL teaching certificates. In compliance, Mansfield University has already begun revising its teacher education curriculum to comply with the state's new regulations. However, new regulations for post-baccalaureate certification programs have not yet been published in final form.
ALL incoming and current candidates in the existing teacher certification programs must complete all certification requirements by August 31, 2013, including testing and submitting an application to PDE. PDE will issue these certificates to candidates whose complete applications are received by that date.
As of September 1, 2013, PDE will only issue certificates for candidates that have completed the new approved programs: Pre K-4, 4-8, and Special Education (added to existing certification or dual program enrollment only) Pre K-8 and 7-12.