What Can I Study?

What Can I Study?


Teaching requires knowledgeable, creative, and committed professionals who make informed decisions on behalf of their students. Through advanced studies in education, the M.S., Ed., graduate students become more knowledgeable, skilled and confident teacher leaders. They also learn to collaborate with colleagues, to be lifelong learners, and to lead by example. Courses and research experiences in the graduate program are designed to prepare reflective teacher leaders. These programs are also designed to develop advanced knowledge in research, curriculum, supervision, and adaptive strategies meeting the needs of all learners.

The Education and Special Education Department offers a degree in Master of Science (M.S.), Education, with a concentration in Reading Specialist Added Certification K-12 .  The M.S. is chosen by those graduate students pursuing a master’s degree with secondary emphasis or by those pursuing a master’s degree with a K-12 emphasis. The minimum number of credit hours required for this degree is 33 (or 30 if the thesis option is completed).

Special Education

EducationThe Mansfield University Special Education Program is nationally recognized by the Council for Exceptional Children at the Initial Teacher Preparation level. The certification concentration is designed for educators who are certified at the initial level in another education field. The graduates of this concentration are prepared to meet the special education certification requirements in Pennsylvania. Students in the non-certification concentration will not be prepared for certification in Pennsylvania. The non-certification concentration for candidates from education and related fields not seeking special education certification provides the opportunity to develop an understanding of special education programs and services for individuals with exceptional learning needs.

The Education and Special Education Department offers the degree program Master of Education (M.Ed.), Special Education with two concentrations, Certification and Non-Certification. The M.Ed. is chosen by those pursuing a master’s degree with a special education emphasis. The minimum number of credit hours required for this degree is 33 (or 30 if the thesis option is completed).


NursingThe Master of Science in Nursing program is designed for professional nurses who seek an advanced nursing degree while maintaining current employment. Students may choose either the educator or leadership / administrator track. Graduates are qualified to teach in nursing education programs and staff development departments within health care agencies, or to manage nursing care delivery services in health care settings. The Master of Science in Nursing program is offered online. Ideally, students take two courses for six semesters to complete the program in two calendar years.

Based on the application of adult learning theory, best practices, and evidence-based teaching, the MSN curriculum is designed to prepare its graduates, not only to function as nurse educators or nurse administrators, but also to retrieve, analyze, and utilize data obtained from a variety of sources and apply research skills and principles learned in the research courses throughout their professional careers.

Students soon find that they are experts in accessing online information because they are expected, as part of each course, to critically assess and evaluate the information retrieved from any source. Because the curriculum follows national guidelines in terms of an evidence-based practice format, students read and explore the latest literature in the field and discuss how the findings are applicable to current practice. 


Mansfield University's Master of Science in Nutrition program provides an innovative, integrated study of nutrition and health. This program assists dietitians and others considering advanced study in nutrition in meeting professional requirements for completing a master's degree. The online program format provides a supportive, flexible pathway to advanced degree completion. Students can complete the program in two years by taking two courses per semester or in four years by taking one course per semester. A culminating capstone project is required for graduation. The program must be completed in five years. Completion of this degree program does not quality a student to take the RD examination.

Non-degreeNon-Degree at the Graduate Level

Non-degree students at Mansfield University take graduate level coursework for several different reason: 1) Personal or professional enrichment, 2) GPA did not meet the minimum requirements for graduate degree program, 3) Continuing education credits to meet Act 48 requirements, and 4) Transferring course credit to another institution. 

If you are interested in non-degree at the graduate level, then please visit the Non-degree webpage.